I want to help others with a Hand Difference
Are you an adult with a hand difference and want to get involved with Aussie Hands? We would love to hear from you! We welcome the involvement of adults with all upper limb differences and whether this has been something you have experienced form birth or acquired. Adults with hand differences have a unique range of knowledge and insights which both we at Aussie Hands, and the families we support, greatly value.
Here are some of the ways you can get involved:
- Come to Aussie Hands events and spend time with children with hand differences and their families. The children love to meet older people just like them! And the parents enjoy being able to chat to you about your life and understand that their child will be able to achieve a happy and fulfilled life. Parents sometimes like to ask questions such as how you do certain tasks or how you coped with difficult situations.
- Sometimes a family approaches us for extra support because their child is having a particularly difficult time in dealing with their hand difference. They might be feeling self-conscious and alone. In this circumstance being able to connect to an adult with a hand difference can be a great support for both the child and their parent. To combat the issue of location this can be done by means such as skype. Or sometimes a parent may wish to chat to someone who has a similar hand difference to their child, to ask questions about prosthetics or operations you may have had.
- Be available to talk to a school class about hand difference. Sometimes when a child is commencing school or changing year levels, the topic of hand difference is spoken about as a class. The child may do this themselves or with the support of a teacher or parent. The thinking behind this is to deal with the comments and questions upfront, to get things out in the open. Having an adult with a hand difference attend to support his conversation can be very beneficial. You can answer questions, talk about life and all the things you do and perhaps show them some of your talents such as how you tie your shoes!
- Fundraise for Aussie Hands. We love it when people approach us with a great idea to fundraise!
- Become an Aussie Hands Board member. Contact us and we can let you know about the roles currently available, role expectations and how to nominate.
- Contact Us If you would like to inspire others by becoming an Aussie Hands Ambassador
- Volunteer – suggest a specific skill or talent you may have which you wish to offer such as graphic design, computer, accounting or social media.